Match Reports

BACT FIRST TEAM VS CRYSTAL PALACE – Won 3-2 (H) Burton Albion Community Football Centre – 01/02/2017


A 5 goal thriller resulted in Burton continuing their recent run of form and extending their winning streak to 4. BACT squeezed their way past Crystal Palace  beating them 3-2 in a very exciting game that saw 4 goals being scored in just the first half.

            With the Venue being moved to the Burton Albion Community Trust 3G Football Centre, the Brewers came in with very high expectations after their recent run of form. Their confidence was evident within just 10 minutes as they eased themselves ahead. Good wide wing play from Aaron Whetton got the ball into the area where he found Jack Jeffrey who was able to slot home with ease, bringing the score to 1-0. By conceding, Palace seemed to come alive and looked for a way to equalize. Just 5 minutes later, Palace found a response after a shot ricocheted off the floor just before the hands of Dan Hyde causing him to parry the ball away to an attacker, leaving him able to score in a virtually empty net. Burton were not downhearted however as some more quality hold up play from Aaron Whetton allowed Jack Jeffrey to make a run in behind the defense. Whetton then found Jeffrey where he was then was able to tuck the ball away from a very tight angle. With only 5 minutes to go in the half, Palace broke forward in search of yet another equalizer. Some good wing play allowed number 11 to break into the box only to be brought down by Will Mansfield. The referee gave a penalty from the challenge and the penalty was subsequently dispatched low to Dan Hyde’s right. As the referee blew his whistle for half time the scores were 2-2.

The second half was very much the same style as the first. Quick play, back and forth between the two teams meant that it was anyone’s game. Some stern defending from Lewis Hudson, Harry Adamson and Connor Adams kept Palace at bay and kept the scores level. It appeared that the goals of the match had dried up and it was set to be a 2-2 draw. However, it was not to be. Step up Man of the Match Jack Jeffrey. An absurd bent finish from a free kick 30 yards out left the keeper with no chance as the ball flew into the top left hand corner and completing his Hat-Trick for the day. The lead was not completely secure however as Palace looked to find a way back into the game. It was not to be though as the Brewers managed to hang on for a good result against a very tough and well organized Palace side. This win means that Burton have collected their 4th win out of 4.

MOTM – Jack Jeffrey


BACT FIRST TEAM VS STOKE CITY – Won 9-2 (H) Burton Albion Community Football Centre – 18/01/2017


GRIT and determination were the main themes of today’s game as a stunning comeback let the Brewers sail past Stoke College 9-2 in the cup semi-final. In what could be described as a fast paced and physical contest, BACT fought the hardest to move into contention for silverware and glory.

As the game had been moved from the regular venue of the Marston pitches to the Burton Albion Community Trust 3G Pitch, the conditions made the game very fast paced and slick. This fast pace play and slippery surface appeared to have an undesired effect on the BACT team as they were first to concede. A quick ball through allowed the player to slot home past Dan Hyde and bring the score to 1-0 after just 15 minutes played. Things then got worse for the Brewers as a long ball over the top seemed easily collectable for Hyde, but as the ball skidded off the surface it managed to slip out of his hands into an oncoming striker who was able to tuck the ball away into an empty net, making the Game 2-0 to Stoke. However, the boys were not going to be turned over that easy.

After some tactical changes by Aaron Webster, BACT seemed to come alive and began what can only be described as a comeback to end all comebacks. A silly foul on the edge of the box allowed Jack Jeffrey to step up and bend it around the wall into the bottom corner bringing the game to 2-1. The first half was yet to be completed as Burton found another goal as Tom Duddey fired home from close range with just 4 minutes to go. However, the score was not set to end 2-2 at half time as BACT broke forward into the box and Joe Hadley was fouled, giving Burton a penalty. The penalty was subsequently converted by Will Mansfield taking Burton in front just before the half.

As the second half got under way, it was apparent that BACT were the team in the ascendancy as they pushed forward for more goals and more goals did come. Tom Duddey fired home for his second of the game, before yet another free kick broke through and found its way into the back of the net from Jack Jeffrey. After this Stoke appeared to fall apart as Burton continued to disassemble the defense. Burton’s creativity led to another penalty which was dispatched as cool as you like by Will Mansfield. Aaron Whetton then got his goal of the match as provider turned scorer and buried his shot into the bottom corner before Rhys Davies got in on the action with a fine finish from close range. Will Mansfield then closed the game off with a strike from distance that struck the underside of the bar before making its way into the back of the net. With the score at 9-2 the game was over and the Brewers had progressed into the Cup Final.

MOTM – Jack Jeffrey

Stoke Game - Jan 17

BACT FIRST TEAM VS BURNLEY – Won 4-2 (H) Marston’s Sports Ground – 23/11/2016


AFTER a hotly contested affair, BACT came out on top against a very well organised Burnley side. On a very cold, wet and windy afternoon in Burton, the score finished at 4 – 2 to the Brewers as they showed determination and fight to come back from being 2 – 1 down.

BACT started very positively with a few good chances coming their way. However, Burnley’s defence managed to withstand the constant burton barrage in the early minutes as the game appeared to be even. It wasn’t until an inspired piece of play from Tom Duddy broke the deadlock as he ducked and weaved in-between the defence to find himself one on one with keeper before calmly slotting home at the near post.

Burnley responded very well to going one nil down as they threw men forward in hopes to find an equaliser. Their hopes were soon realised after a deflected effort from Connor Lucas just outside the box looped its way into the back of the net, leaving Hyde stranded. A rash tackle by BACT just five minutes later saw a free kick being given on the edge of box to Burnley who happily capitalized on the opportunity. Another deflection, this time from the wall, saw the ball arrow into the top corner direct from the free kick and left BACT down 2-1 with five minutes to go before half time. However, a deflection of our own saw the score being levelled with virtually the last kick of the half as Will Mansfield’s volleyed effort was too powerful for the defender to keep out as it found its way into the back of the net.

As the second half got underway, it was clear that the tensions were running high. Tackles flying in left and right from both sides really set the tone for the second half as it appeared both teams were fired up. BACT made a slow start to the half as Burnley looked prepared. However, a solid defensive performance from the back line saw Burnley’s attack fended off. 2-2 looked to be the score for the day, but it wasn’t to be as Tom Duddy once again found himself in space. Duddy darted his way down the left before confidently placing a shot past the keeper bring the score to 3-2.

Burnley, in an effort to find yet another equaliser, poured more and more men forward putting immense pressure on the BACT back line. Wave after wave of Burnley attack was dealt with comfortably and a counter attack by BACT put the final nail in the coffin as Star Man Tom Duddy completed his Hat-Trick after beating 3 players and firing past the keeper.

Overall a very solid performance from the F&E First Team means that the side grabs an emphatic win and their sights are now set on the next game ahead.

MOTM – Tom Duddy