Match Reports

Futsal – 02/03/2017 (Birmingham International Futsal Arena)

Game 1 BACT V Stoke City

Burton got the game underway but it wasn’t long until Stoke had won back possession, and began to control the game. Stoke’s possession allowed them to have an early attempt on goal, but some great Goalkeeping by Lucy kept the ball out of the net and the score at 0-0.

The Lady Brewers started to see more of the ball, and showed real fight to get the ball back from Stoke. Some quality attacking play saw Chelsea break free only to see her shot at goal just go wide of the post. With the scores still at 0-0 the teams settled into the game and became more relaxed on the ball. Annie and Megan organised a good defensive presence that held Stoke in what was turning into a scrappy game with both teams trying to get the breakthrough goal. The breakthrough goal came just minutes later as some great work down the right hand side allowed Stoke to cross the ball across the box for an easy close range finish.

With Burton 1-0 down the team really worked hard to get an equaliser, but the Stoke defence tightene to keep them out. Due to a big attacking presence BACT were left open at the back and were vulnerable to a counter-attack. Stoke saw this opportunity and broke free only to be denied by an inspired Lucy. The counter-attacks kept coming but stern defending by Megan managed to break down the play and a launch a counter attack of their own. With only minutes to go, Megan played the ball through to Paighton, who combined well with Chelsea, only to see their efforts drift wide the post. As the full-time whistle blew, Stoke had come out victorious, 1-0.

FT: Stoke 1 – 0 BACT


Game 2 Burton Vs Southampton

In game 2, the Brewers took on Southampton, looking to bounce back quickly from the defeat against Stoke City.

The game started cagey, with neither team registering a shot on goal in the opening minutes. After some good combination play in midfield, Paighton was set free but denied by a strong Saints goalkeeper.

As the game progressed Southampton began to see more of the ball, with the female Brewers having to sit tight, highlighted by some resilient defending from Megan.

The deadlock was broken when a Southampton free kick on the edge of the penalty area was driven home past the outstretch Lucy in goal.

As the game quickly got back underway, BACT applied pressure on the Saints, with the ball flashing across the face of the goal on several occasions. The hard work payed off as Burton pressed high and capitalised on a Southampton mistake which set Chelsea Gothridge free to coolly slot home the equaliser.

The Brewers then took charge of the game and looked to take advantage of a disappointed Southampton. Yet again hard work was rewarded, when some outstanding movement in the attacking half left Chelsea Gothridge to slot home her brace after a great ball across goal.

After coming from behind to lead in the game, Burton settled in for a tough last few minutes, with Southampton coming back strong looking for an equaliser of their own, but after some strong defending from Annie & Megan, alongside some last ditch saves from Lucy, BACT were able to hold on for a rewarding win against Southampton.

FT: BACT 2-1 Southampton


Game 3 Burton v Bristol City Red

Following the win in Game 2 BACT appeared to be in high spirits with Bristol City getting the game underway. The high spirits were almost immediately quashed as the opening couple of minutes saw Bristol combine well with control the game. Resolute defending by Megan and Annie kept the backline compact for Burton and made it difficult for Bristol to find a way through. Bristol City managed to finally work their way past the BACT defence and have the first shot of the game. However, some top drawer Goalkeeping by Lucy denied Bristol an early goal.

The Lady Brewers then saw a good spell of pressure that led to a breakaway down the left-hand side with Megan who managed to find Chelsea in space. Chelsea fired off an effort towards goal only to be denied by the Bristol City Goalkeeper.

After the attack the game opened with both teams trying to get the first goal. Burton began to see a bit more of the ball and started to dominate inside the Bristol City half. A Great run by Annie allowed the ball to be played into Paighton, who had a shot that was dragged just wide of the post. With the score still 0-0, Bristol started combining more effectively and forced Lucy into yet another astounding save.

The release of pressure from Bristol then allowed Megan to drive forward and place a pass in towards Chelsea who turned the ball into the back of the net and score the game’s first goal. With the 1 goal advantage Burton Pressed harder to find a second. Shots from both Chelsea and Paighton were subsequently saved and Bristol came back on the attack. However, it was Burton who were able to stave off the attack and hold on to a 1-0 win.


FT – BACT 1 – 0 Bristol City Red


W-O-D – Lucy

BACT, Pirelli Stadium, Burton upon Trent, England on 14th December 2016. Photo by Richard Holmes.

Futsal – 03/02/2017 (Birmingham International Futsal Arena)


As the came kicked off, BACT started the brighter of the two sides. Some great combination play in the Opposition half saw Burton take control. It was this control that meant that after just 5 minutes BACT had managed to find a break through. Annie was found unmarked and able to play a driven pass through to Chelsea who casually slotted the ball home bringing the score to 1-0 to BACT.

The Lady Brewers looked to double their lead and take advantage of the control they were displaying over Cardiff. Only minutes later, BACT had found their way through the Cardiff defense and grabbed a second and gave Burton a nice cushioned lead. Once again it was Chelsea who found herself free and was able to get her name on the scoresheet yet again.

This goal seemed to wake Cardiff as they appeared to come out brighter after the restart and quickly got themselves back into the game. A tidy finish saw the gap reduced back down to one and give Burton some nerves for the remainder of the game. Not to be outdone, BACT broke quickly from kick off and moved the ball effectively and with conviction. The ball broke free to Chelsea her calmly tucked the ball past the keeper, completing her Hat-trick.

After the restart, BACT looked comfortable. However, some complacency saw the ball given away by Burton and Cardiff broke free on the counter. A nice finish saw the deficit reduced back to one. Only a few minutes after Cardiff’s second goal BACT had restored their two goal lead for a second time. Some neat play with ball in the opponents half handed the Lady Brewers a 2 v 1 situation on the Left hand side. A well worked move allowed Megan to cut in and sneak the ball past the keeper, for her first of the game, bringing the score to 4-2. Once again Cardiff attempted to take the game to BACT a bit more and they started to look a little more dangerous. It was this pressure that allowed Cardiff to break away. Burton gave away a silly free kick in a very dangerous area and a well worked set piece saw Cardiff grab another goal bringing them back into the game for a third time.

Cardiff then capitalised on the opportunity that Burton had given them. An interception by Cardiff allowed them to break off of a long ball forward. The looped pass bypassed the entire BACT defence resulting in the ball ending up in the back of the net for the Cardiff equaliser. The last few minutes of the game it were very intense as both teams looked for a winning goal. But, with only a minute to go, the ball broke free for Paighton who had the composure to find the back of the net bringing the score to 5-4 and bringing the curtain down on a nine goal thriller.


Full time BACT 5 – 4 CARDIFF




A very frustrating opening ten minutes to the game, saw BACT control the majority of the play with the possession mostly in the opposition half. To Southend’s credit they were very well organised and defending well, and made it difficult for Burton to find a way through.

After 10 minutes the game had become stretched and saw BACT muster a couple of attempts on target. These attempts were all denied by the Southend Keeper who pulled off a couple of outstanding saves. With the score still 0-0 with about 5 minutes left, the opposition started to see the ball more. A clever counter attack by Southend saw them break free and score the only goal of the game leaving the Lady Brewers shell-shocked.  

With only a couple of minutes left, BACT searched for an equalising goal. But it wasn’t to be as Southend held on for the win.


Full time BACT 0 – 1 SOUTHEND




BACT made a very strong start to the game as they maintained possession and moved the ball around confidently. However, it was not the Brewers who had the first chance. Great defensive pressure from Preston allowed them to nick the ball away from Burton and have a shot only to be denied by a great save from Lucy. This early chance clearly rattled Burton as a lack of communication between BACT allowed Preston to see a lot more of the ball and get through on goal. Preston were able to tuck the ball home despite the best efforts of Lucy bringing the score to 1-0 to Preston.

Burton looked to strike back quickly as they broke forward with Annie. The ball broke free to Annie who was able to strike the ball towards goal only to see it fire past the post. With their confidence rebuilt the Lady Brewers pushed forward looking for an equaliser. A good run from Megan found her space to take a shot towards goal only to see her effort glance across goal. BACT were clearly in the ascendancy and only a few minutes later they had brought the score level. A fine pass from Annie found Paighton who struck the ball cleanly and found the back of the net. Frustration appeared to set in for Preston as silly tackles flew in left and right which really slowed the pace of the game and made the Burton attack a struggle. However, BACT did find their way through. Megan found space and was able to convert the chance past a helpless Preston keeper. In the last few minutes Burton looked to keep possession and saw out the game with the win.


Full Time BACT 2 – 1 PRESTON





BACT continued their good starts yet another series of strong passes to open up the game. Southampton did push when they had the ball but they were unable to break down Burton who had kept a strong, rigid defensive formation. After 15 minutes had passed in the game, things took a darker turn for BACT as Chelsea hit the deck. Chelsea, who was clearly in discomfort, managed to rise up and continue with the game which appeared to encourage the rest of the Lady Brewers. A great attack from BACT saw Megan push forward and find the net opening the scoring. Virtually the next passage of play the scores were back a level. A well-timed finish saw Southampton back on level terms.

Burton searched to take the lead for the second time in the game and they nearly found it as a good pass by Chelsea found Megan who took a shot but fired just wide. Another solid passage of play saw a good shot from Paighton fly past the wrong side of the post, leaving the Brewers in disbelief. Southampton had so far got lucky with their defending but it was their attack that most impressed. Some good defending by Paighton slowed the Southampton attack but they were still able to find a way through and take the lead. As Burton pressed for an equaliser Southampton launched counter attack after counter attack. A clever break saw yet more heroics from Lucy as she pulled out yet another fine save. With only seven minutes to go, the earlier injury had clearly taken its toll on Chelsea as she went down and had to come off injured.

BACT were left with only 4 remaining players to see out the rest of the game but this didn’t stop them attacking. Annie was able to find herself free and take a shot at goal only for it go wide by inches. With neither side content with the score, the ball flew from either side of the pitch. The four girls left on the pitch made a great effort in defence and attack in hopes of grabbing something more than a loss in the game. However, in the last two minutes of the game the score was settled. Two quickfire goals from Southampton saw them escalate the score to 4-1. The game finished at 4-1 to Southampton but the final score was definitely not a fair reflection of what happened within the game.



Women of the Day

W-O-D Paighton


W-O-D Lucy

BACT, Pirelli Stadium, Burton upon Trent, England on 14th December 2016. Photo by Richard Holmes.

Futsal – 19/01/2017 (Birmingham International Futsal Arena)

Burton Albion Ladies 4-2 Bristol City White & Burton Albion Ladies 0-1 Peterborough Ladies


Burton Albion Ladies futsal team returned to action, with returning manager back Neil Taylor in place for the new years fixtures. Bristol City White were the opponents, who were positioned a couple of places below the Brewers in the league .

The game started well with for Burton, who were straight away on the attack and by just 7th minute, BACT found themselves three goals ahead. Chelsea Gotheridge grabbed a brace, with Megan Hesbitt also getting on the score sheet. It wasn’t all plain sailing though for the Brewers, with Bristol clawing back two goals to make the score line 3-2. The Brewers stepped their game back up a gear again though and good link up play from Paighton Robathan, Annie Laights and Chelsea Gotheridge, led to the latter grabbing her hat trick, running our 4-2 winners.

The ladies second fixture saw them come up against third placed Peterborough, with manager Neil Taylor’s game plan for the ladies to ‘keep their shape and to not to give anything away’. The girls kept their discipline and held a strong Peterborough side for the majority of the game. The turning point was when Chelsea Gotheridge was fouled by Peterborough goalkeeper, leading to the game being stopped for a period of time. Chelsea did manage to return to the pitch, but her short absence was a telling one. With only 24 seconds left on the clock, Peterborough broke through to score the only goal of the game, leading to heartbreak for the battling Brewers.